Charles J. Malmborg
Professor and Interim Department Head
Department of Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems
Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, Industrial and Systems Engineering
M.S., Georgia Institute of Technology, Industrial Engineering
B.S., University of Massachusetts, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
Professor Malmborg served on the faculties of Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech prior to joining Rensselaer. At Rensselaer he has served as DSES Doctoral Program Director (1987-1994), Associate Chair and Director of Master's Programs (1994-Present), Undergraduate Program Director (2005-Present) and Acting Chair (1996-97, 1998-2000, and 2001-2002). He is author of over 100 peer reviewed technical publications in leading international journals. He has served as Principal Investigator and Co-Principal Investigator on major educational and research projects with the National Science Foundation and other sponsoring agencies. He has served as Editor for Decision Sciences for Applied Mathematical Modelling, and Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Vice President of the Alpha Pi Mu Industrial Engineering Honor Society and is a National Executive Council Member. He is recipient of the 1999 DSES Faculty Award of Excellence, the 2003 Karger Award for Outstanding Master's Thesis Advisor, the 2004 School of Engineering Award for Excellence in Education and the 2004 Del and Ruth Karger Award as Advisor to the Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation in DSES, and the 2005 Trustee's Outstanding Teacher Award. He is a senior member of the Institute of Industrial Engineers and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
Research Area Summary:
- Facility Design and Material Handling
- Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems
- Autonomous Vehicle Storage and Retrieval Systems
- Storage, Warehousing and Inventory Systems
- Production Scheduling
- Vehicle Routing and Scheduling
- Probability Modeling and Simulation
- Material Flow System Concepting
- Al-Araidah O., Krishnamurthy A., Malmborg C.J., “A Two-Stage Simulated Annealing Algorithm for Block Layout Problems”, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 44, No. 20, pp. 4417-4429, 2006.
- Fukunari M. Malmborg C.J., “Intelligent Models for Design Conceptualization of Autonomous Vehicle Storage and Retrieval Systems”, Integrated Intelligent Systems for Engineering Design, Zha X.F., Howlett R.J. (eds.), IOS Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 274-288, 2006.
- Hales S. Graves R.J., Heragu S.S., Jennings S., Malmborg C.J., “A Multimedia Educational Tool Integrating Materials Handling Technology, Analysis and Design Using Virtual Distribution Center", European Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 93-110, 2007.
- Kuo P.H., Krishnamurthy A., Malmborg C.J., “Design Models for Unit Load Storage and Retrieval Systems Using Autonomous Vehicle Technology and Resource Conserving Storage and Dwell Point Policies”, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 31, No. 10, pp. 2332-2346, 2007.
- Al-Araidah O., Krishnamurthy A., Malmborg C.J., “A Comparative Study of Simulated Annealing Based Approaches for the Layout Problem with Material Handling Costs”, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp., 2007.
Past Industry Projects:
- Paeco Corporation, Schenectady, New York. Material flow analysis and master layout plan for a 50,000 square foot millwork facility.
- Key Services Corporation, Albany, New York. Decision Support System for Courier Staffing, Vehicle Routing, Document Handling, Work Flow, and Courier/Encoder Scheduling.
- General Electric Silicone Products Division, Waterford, New York. Workstation Design for Dimethicone Mixing Facility.
- General Electric Real Estate and Construction Division, Waterford, New York. Block layouts and detail workstation designs for 20,000 square foot batch mixing facility.
- General Electric Specialty Chemical Products Division of GE Silicones, Waterford, New York. Manpower and facility planning simulation for polymer kettle area.
- Dexter Automotive Materials Corporation, Kansas City, Missouri. Aggregate Material Flow Analysis for Consolidation of Moore Plastics Manufacturing Operations.
- Dexter Automotive Materials Corporation, Kansas City, Missouri. Pallet Flow Based Storage Area Design.
- Key Services Corporation, Albany, New York. Item processing operations decision support system.
- Rexham Custom Manufacturing/Morton Electronic Materials, Spartanburg, South Carolina. Material flow and production system modeling for resin manufacturing business partnership.
- General Electric Silicones Division, Waterford, New York. Optimization of materials handling and tank facility management for European silicones manufacturing plant.
Honors and Awards:
- 1999 DSES Faculty Award for Excellence in Education
- Alpha Pi Mu Outstanding Chapter Award (1989-2002, 2004-2007)
- 2003 Karger Award for Advisor of the Outstanding Master’s Thesis in DSES
- 2004 School of Engineering Excellence in Engineering Education Award
- 2004 Del and Ruth Karger Award as co-Advisor to the Outstanding PhD Dissertation in DSES
- 2005 Trustees’ Outstanding Teacher Award
- Alpha Pi Mu Industrial Engineering Academic Honor Society
- Region I VP, National Executive Council
- Institute of Industrial Engineers:
- Council of Industrial Engineering Academic Department Heads
- Senior Member
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Senior Member
- Past Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on SMC
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Transportation Science and Logistics Special Interest Group (INFORMS)
- Past Associate Editor for Decision Sciences – Applied mathematical Modeling
Charles J. Malmborg
Professor and Interim Head
Department of DSES
Low Center for Industrial Innovation
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street
Troy, N.Y. 12180 USA
Phone: (518) 276-2935
Fax: (518) 276-8227
malmbc@. rpi. edu