Department of Electrical, Computer, & Systems Engineering
Ph.D., Cornell University, Electrical Engineering
M.S., McGill University, Electrical Engineering
B.S., McGill University, Engineering Physics
Design and evaluation of automated document entry (text, diagrams, maps).
- Application of knowledge-based systems to digital image analysis.
- Solid modeling and robust computational geometry; terrain visibility.
- Style-constrained and adaptive pattern recognition.
- TANGO (Table Analysis for Generating Ontologies). Extraction of information from semi-formatted web pages (with BYU). Design and evaluation of automated document entry (text, tables, diagrams, maps). QBT (Query by Table)
- CAVIAR (Computer Assisted Visual Interactive Recognition).
Application of knowledge-based systems to digital image analysis. Interactive classification of flowers, faces, cervigrams, skin lesions.
- Adaptive and Style-constrained character recognition. Paper trail for trustworthy voting machines (with Lehigh University and BSU).
- Statistical models for VLSI fault testing (with UNL).
- J Zou and G. Nagy, "Human-computer interaction for complex pattern recognition problems”, in Data Complexity in Pattern Recognition, Data Complexity in Pattern Recognition, pp. 271-286, M. Basu and T. K. Ho, Eds., Springer, 2006.
- D. Lopresti, D.W. Embley, M. Hurst, and G. Nagy, "Table Processing Paradigms: A Research Survey," International Journal of Document Analysis and Recognition, vol 8, no. 2-3, pp. 66-86, Springer, June 2006.
- G. Nagy and X. Zhang, "Simple statistics for complex features spaces," Data Complexity in Pattern Recognition, pp. 173-195, M. Basu and T. K. Ho, Eds., Springer, 2006.
- E. N. Landis, T. Zhang, E. N. Nagy, G. Nagy, W. R. Franklin, Cracking, damage and fracture in four dimensions, Materials and Structures, Vol 40, pp. 357–364, Springer, 2006.
- S. Veeramachaneni and G. Nagy, “Analytical results on style-constrained Bayesian classification of pattern fields,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 29, #7, pp. 1280-1285, July 2007.
Past Industrial Projects:
Honors and Awards:
- Life Fellow of the IEEE
- Fellow of the IAPR (International Association for Pattern Recognition)
- ICDAR Award for Lifetime Contributions (Document Analysis and Recognition)
- Registered Professional Engineer
- Fellow Committee, IEEE,
- IEEE Computer Society
- Member, ACM
- Referee of last resort (conflict resolution) for several journals
- Reviewer for government funding organizations in the US, Canada, Singapore
- Doctoral examination and faculty promotion committees in six countries
- Standing Committee for DIAL (Biennial Conference on Digital Libraries)
- UConn CSE Advisory Commiittee, 2002-2007
- Expert witness on OCR.
Jonsson Engineering Center Room 6020
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street
Troy, N.Y. 12180 USA
Phone: (518) 276-6078
Fax: (518) 276-6261