Mark S. Shephard
Samuel A. Johnson, Jr. '37 and Elisabeth C. Johnson Professor of Engineering
Director, Scientific Computation Research Center (SCOREC)
Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Shephard's research activities have focused on the development of techniques to reliably automate the finite element modeling process. Three areas of emphasis are adaptive analysis techniques, parallel finite element procedures and automated finite element model generation. A number of the research projects he works on apply these techniques to application areas including manufacturing simulations, structural systems, thermomechanical modeling of electronic packaging, computational fluid dynamics, modeling of high performance composite materials and modeling of biomech
Awards and Honors:
- Samuel A. and Elisabeth C. Johnson, Jr. Professorship from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Computational and Applied Sciences Award of the US Association for Computational Mechanics
- Past President and Fellow of the US Association for Computational Mechanics
- Fellow of the International Association for Computational Mechanics
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Associate Fellow American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Best paper award for 1997 for the Int. J. of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow
- Editor of Engineering with Computers
- Editorial Board Member: Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, International Journal Multiscale Computational Engineering, Computers & Structures, Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering
Mark S. Shephard’s professional activities have focused on technologies to improve the reliability and level of automation of advanced numerical simulations to support their effective application by engineers and scientist. His research activities have lead to well recognized and applied contributions on the areas of automatic mesh generation of CAD geometry, automated and adaptive analysis methods, and parallel adaptive simulation technologies. This research has been supported by both government agencies (over 65 research grants from 13 agencies) and industry (funding from 44 companies). Dr. Shephard has published over 250 papers and graduated 24 Ph.D’s.
As part of his professional activities Mark S. Shephard founded Rensselaer's Scientific Computation Research Center that has brought together faculty form seven academic departments and three schools at Rensselaer to perform research on the development and application of advanced simulation technologies. These research activities have included collaborations with more that ten other universities over the past decade.
Mark S. Shephard is a co-founder, board member and technical advisor to Simmetrix Inc., a computer-aided engineering company dedicated to producing the technologies and associated software components to enable simulation-based engineering. Simmetrix is currently researching, developing and providing advanced simulation automation and simulation-based design technologies to CAE and Fortune 500 companies, and universities.
- De, S., Fish, J., Shephard, M.S., Keblinski, P. and Kumar, S.K., “Multiscale modeling of polymer rheology”, Physical Review E, 74(3)030801(1)-030801(4), 2006.
- Seol, E.S. and Shephard, M.S., “Efficient distributed mesh data structure for parallel automated adaptive analysis”, Engineering with Computers, 22(3-4):197-213, 2006.
- Dey, S., Datta, D., Shirron, J.J. and Shephard, M.S., “p-version FEM for structural acoustics with a-posteriori error estimation”, Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng., 195:1946-1957, 2006.
- Alauzet, F., Li, X., Seol, E.,S. and Shephard, M.S., Parallel Anisotropic 3D Mesh Adaptation by Mesh Modification, Engineering with Computers, 21(3):247-258, 2006.
- Sahni, O. Mueller, J., Jansen, K.E., Shephard, M.S. and Taylor, C.A., “Efficient Anisotropic Adaptive Discretization of Cardiovascular System”, Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng., 195(41-43):5634-5655, 2006
Mark S. Shephard
7017 Center For Industrial Innovation
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street, Troy, NY 12180-3590
Phone: (518) 276-6795
Fax: (518) 276-6025
E-Mail: shephard at scorec dot rpi dot edu